Agenda and minutes
Venue: Civic Centre, Gravesend, Kent
Contact: Committee Section
An apology for absence was received from Councillor Conrad Broadley, Councillor Lee Croxton, Councillor Makhan Singh and Cllr Jenny Wallace; Councillor Samir Jassal, Councillor Brian Sangha, Councillor Lyn Milner and Councillor Peter Scollard appeared as their respective substitutes.
The Minutes of the meeting held 12 July 2018 were signed by the Chair.
Declarations of Interest
No declarations of interest were made.
To present Members of the Committee with the draft Terms of Reference for the following Scrutiny Reviews:
1. Review of proposed council-endorsed trading companies.
2. Review of Grass Cutting and Horticulture.
The Committee Services Officer (Scrutiny) presented Members of the Committee with the draft Terms of Reference for the following Overview Scrutiny Topic Reviews:
1. Review of proposed council-endorsed trading companies
2. Review of Grass Cutting and Horticulture
Members were asked to review the two draft Terms of Reference at Appendix Two to the report and, subject to any amendments, agree a finalised version for each review.
Following the resignation of Cllr Broadley as Chair of the Scrutiny Review of proposed Council-endorsed Trading Companies and Vice-Chair of the Overview Scrutiny Committee; the Chair confirmed that he would Chair the sub-group and the Committee confirmed the new Membership as detailed below:
Scrutiny Review of proposed Council-endorsed Trading Companies
Cllr John Burden (Chair) Labour
Cllr Shane Mochrie-Cox Labour
Cllr Leslie Hills Conservative
Cllr William Lambert Gravesham Independent Conservatives
The Chair made the point that the Terms of Reference are not a ‘closed thing’ and can be added to during the review.
The Chair highlighted the following:
· There will be a presentation at the Housing Committee (26 September 2018) on Companies and Commercialisation.
· There will be a presentation to all Members in October on the legal aspects of Local Authority Trading Companies.
· The review sub-group will summarise / bring all the information together and form recommendations to Cabinet.
The Committee agreed that where best practice and innovation is identified at other authorities; this should be brought back and considered in the Council’s own design of a Local Authority Trading Company.
The Committee confirmed the new Membership of the Sub-Group for the Scrutiny Review of Grass Cutting and Horticulture as detailed below:
Scrutiny Review of Grass Cutting and Horticulture
Cllr John Burden (Chair) Labour
Cllr Lyn Milner Labour
Cllr Gary Harding Conservative
Cllr Sara Langdale Gravesham Independent Conservative
The Committee highlighted the following points:
· The review should identify which areas are GBC’s responsibility and which are KCC (including the removal and replanting of trees).
· The review should consider the voluntary/community sector; some residents have already expressed a willingness to help look after green spaces.
· New Housing / Planning: the review should consider who will look after green spaces in the long-term, following the completion of houses / developments.
Resolved that, subject to the amendments to the membership of the sub-groups and consideration of Members comments as detailed above; the Committee agreed the Terms of Reference for both reviews.