Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman Annual Review Letter 2021/22
The Committee were provided with a copy of the Local Government & Social Care
Ombudsman’s Annual Review Letter.
The Head of Internal Audit & Counter Fraud Shared Services advised that for the year ending 31 March 2022, the LG&SCO received a total of 20 complaints or enquiries about Gravesham Borough Council services (Appendix II). The majority related to Housing (12) with others relating to Planning, Revenues & Benefits, Parking.
In total, the Ombudsman:
- Gave advice for 5 contacts
- Referred 8 back to the Council to resolve through their own complaints
- Closed 5 after initial enquiries – either because they had other means of
complaining e.g. an appeal process, or were outside the timescale
- Upheld 3 complaints – one of which had been remedied satisfactorily by
the Council, but with 2 for which the Ombudsman found fault. The decision
notices for these 3 complaints are attached within Appendix III. Where the
Ombudsman has made recommendations for remedying the complaints
upheld, these have been accepted by the Council and completed within
the timescale required.
The Head of Internal Audit & Counter Fraud Shared Services assured Members that feedback regarding the complaints received was fed back to the individual departments to ensure improvements were made to the services.
- MT Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman, item 14. PDF 220 KB
- Appendix I Annual Review Letter, item 14. PDF 124 KB
- Appendix II a Statistics Received, item 14. PDF 185 KB
- Appendix II b Statistics Decided, item 14. PDF 191 KB
- Appendix II c Statistics Remedies, item 14. PDF 182 KB
- Appendix III 20001986, item 14. PDF 126 KB
- Appendix III 20002980, item 14. PDF 119 KB
- Appendix III 21003624, item 14. PDF 103 KB